What is Prominent Ear?
The prominent ear is not included in the category of disease because it does not affect the functioning of the body. Although it is not considered a disease, a prominent ear can be applied by plastic surgeons because it causes an unaesthetic appearance. They are aesthetic surgeries that can be done easily with the development of technology. Because it causes an aesthetically unpleasant appearance, patients have ear aesthetics due to a lack of self-confidence or low self-esteem. The external look it has affects people not only aesthetically, but also psychologically. At the same time, it negatively affects the social life of the patients. Therefore, aesthetics is performed for two reasons. One is because of its psychological effects, and the other is because it is an aesthetically unpleasant image.
What are the Causes of Prominent Ear?
Prominent Ear Surgery
The problem, which bothered people for life in the past, has become a problem that can be easily solved with simple methods today. Prominent ear surgery, which is a simple aesthetic surgery operation that does not carry serious risks, is performed as follows;
Depending on the age of the patient, local or general anesthesia is applied.
The operation takes between 45 minutes and 90 minutes, depending on the prominence level of the ear.
In prominent ear operation, an incision can be made from the front or back of the ear.
- With the help of incisions from behind or in front of the ear, the ear cartilage is shaped.
- The ear cartilage is positioned backward.
- After the surgery, special bands are attached that should be used between 1 week and 2 weeks.
- It does not cause deafness.
After Prominent Ear Surgery
The recovery process of the surgery is one of the most curious subjects by patients. Patients who want to hide that they have prominent ear surgery are more curious about this process. this kind of surgery is an operation that is performed quickly. In other words, this kind of ear surgery takes a short time.
- If the patient has not been given general anesthesia, the patient does not need to stay in the hospital. After the necessary examinations, the patient can be discharged.
- No sutures are used . Therefore, the healing process varies from 1 week to 2 weeks.
- Patients can take a bath 1 day – to 2 days after the operation.
- Depending on the patient’s protection of the ears from external influences, the healing process may be shortened or prolonged.
Is Prominent Ear Surgery Risky?
Generally this ear surgery falls into the category of low-risk surgery. The most common problem that can be seen in a short time after the operation is blood collection and infection in the operated area. Either way, these conditions can be treated with appropriate treatments.
The situations that may occur in the medium-long term are the formation of asymmetry in the ears or the reoccurrence of the prominent ear appearance over time.
When Is Prominent Ear Surgery Performed?
The best time to perform prominent ear surgery is the preschool age, which is 5-6 years old. The aim here is to prevent this deformity from causing psychological problems in the school-age child.